Thursday, March 3, 2011

Goal-Based Scenarios

For some reason, I looked at the printed notes for the lesson before I watched the screencast.  The first slide about children learning because they are motivated really caught my attention. I agree with every statement on the first few slides and it is a mystery to me why some students (myself included) enter kindergarten with a strong desire to learn, but become turned-off to education by the time they reach middle school.  I often wonder what occurred during those years to create such a change in attitude.   It’s like an educational black hole. I believe that Goal-Based Scenarios will help students remain interested in school and in learning.
 The major challenge to Goal-Based Scenarios is that it appears to be time-consuming.  An instructor would have to think of a scenario for each subject and some less- creative instructors would have a difficult time with this task.  The solution to this problem would be to use only a few Goal Based Scenarios.  Perhaps they could best be used as a fun way to review material before a test. A less creative instructor could also “borrow” ideas from their peers.
I will probably use this method at some point because I am always looking for creative ways to present training.  I just need to figure out what motivates adult learners.  Each place I am stationed will have different groups with different motivations.  In my last army band, the average age was around 35.  In my current army band, the average age is much younger. Whatever the age, I must quickly assess the group and determine what their interests are.  I have always believed that most people are interested in themselves so I would try to make the scenarios personal to the students by including their interests.
Technology can be utilized to greatly enhance Goal-Based Scenarios.  Web sites are the best way to present the scenarios.   Interactive games are a perfect way to capture the students’ interest and teach them a set of skills.

5 comments:

  1. Karen,

    It is true that many young students are excited about learning until they enter school and begin the monotony of day to day instruction. Teachers who can find a hook to interest students and keep them engaged are priceless.

    Through strategies like the goal based scenarios teachers will need to invest more time during the planning stages. However, the reward (student engagement) would be worth the work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder if you could use bits and pieces of the model -- so as to be less time consuming. Since you are dealing with adults, you could let them write posts/reflections about mistakes they make in their learning -- and then others could comment on their posts and offer suggestions. This seems like it would cut the prep. time in half.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Charlotte
    I believe it would be worth the time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with both you and Charlotte. This does appear to be quite time consuming which could potentially discourage those who are wishing to utilize this mode. Kristy does bring up a valid idea of using bits and pieces, however I am unsure as to whether the unique characteristics involved would truly be correlated to GBS or begin to mimic another model.

    Heather Haymer

    ReplyDelete
  5. A lot of the activities that I have that fit into this model were created as a team by member of my department. I think if I had to do this all on my own, I would not use this model as much.

    ReplyDelete