Thursday, March 17, 2011

Anchored Instruction


At first it was hard for me to distinguish Anchored Instruction from Problem-Based Learning or Goal-Based Scenarios. A lot of these systems share some similarities, but if you look below the surface, you will find that each is different in subtle ways.
As with a lot of other methods, Anchored Instruction involves a lot of time.  The instructor has to find resources to embed and come up with cover stories.  The only solution I see to this problem is to use Anchored Instruction less often.  This limited use gives the instructor more time to come up with fresh ideas and keeps the students from getting bored with overuse of the method.
If I can find a way to use Anchored Instruction, I will.  I am a proponent of any method of instruction that involves the application of inert knowledge in real-world situations.  Why study clarinet if you aren’t going to play in a concert?  I find it appealing that Anchored Instruction has the information embedded into the cover story.   This embedded information is perfect for younger students who need more scaffolding.  
So far, I haven’t come up with a solid idea for implementing this method.  I think I could best utilize Anchored Instruction when I have a video to present.  Since I am required to give classes with no test at the end of the instruction, keeping the audience engaged is a major problem.  I am constantly looking for new ways to check for understanding.  Perhaps I can pass out some sort of learning guide with questions and problems before I present the video.  The audience will have no choice but to pay close attention to the details of the video.
The best way to utilize Anchored Instruction is through web quests.     According to Skylar, Higgins, and Boone, with web quests, students are given:

• a structured environment,
• specific steps for completing the task,
• a list of appropriate Web sites, and
• instructions for compiling data for the research
project.

All of these points fit perfectly with Anchored Instruction.



Reference:
Skylar, A., Higgins, Higgins, K, & Boone, R. (2007).  Strategies for Adapting Web Quests for Students With Learning Disabilities.  Intervention in School and Clinic, 43(1), 20-28.

3 comments:

  1. Karen,
    I too struggled to find the differences. I always looking for new methods for students to get to apply what they are learning but there was somthing very artificial about this model. I am still trying to grasp what that artificiality is in my mind. This model still seems to be scripted, less constructivist in its approach than the other models.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was hard for me to differentiate this model from previous ones as well! I agree with you, Barb, that there was just something missing from this model that didn't make it seem authentic. I just couldn't fully wrap my head around it.

    Karen, you always do a good job in explaining and providing examples in your blogposts. I think the webquest idea might be good for this method.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Time is very precious in the school environment and I agree with you comments completely. Videos do seem like the best solution for implementing Anchored Instruction.

    As a senior in high school I took a course called On-the-job training. In this course, we explored jobs that were of interest to us and had to write about why we would want to work there and explain what we would bring to the company. We never used videos in this course. I usually found myself being bored after reading. Anchored Instruction would have been great for that situation.

    ReplyDelete