Thursday, January 20, 2011

Personalized System of Instruction

When I first read about PSI, my initial reaction was positive. I realize that students have a variety of backgrounds and learning styles so it makes sense to create instruction suited to the individual.  However, to me, it seemed like it would be a difficult task to monitor each student's progress.   Upon further reading, I came to realize that PSI is not quite what I thought it to be at first.  This is not a type of instruction for each student.   It is a standard block of instruction that students can progress through individually.
There are two barriers presented by the PSI model.  The first barrier is that it only seems to be suitable for older students who are self-motivated and on-task.  If the PSI model is used with younger students, the instructor will have to monitor the students closely.   The students will probably need more feedback, help navigating the modules, and more deadlines to complete each module.
The second barrier to the system is that it doesn’t seem to encourage higher order thinking skills.  The immediate feedback that is required seems to imply that multiple choice or fill in the blank tests are used.  Perhaps, if the instructor is aware of this drawback, he or she can find ways to incorporate tests that require higher level thinking skills.  For example, one of the evaluations could require the students to perform tasks that require them to make decisions.  These types of tasks would make evaluation more difficult, though.
I would definitely use this system of instruction in my teaching. I can use the PSI in private clarinet instruction and large group instruction.  Overall, I like the fact that each module is self-paced, objectives are given, and immediate feedback is given.   All of these PSI characteristics help the student know what to expect and help the instructor to evaluate progress.
For private clarinet instruction, I have never stated goals or objectives for students. I just start them at their current level and try to progress from that point.  With PSI I can create modules for each level of student and have specific music, scales, exercises, and tasks for that particular level.  With this system, the student knows what to expect and the parents can actually see (and hopefully hear) progress.  The students can also complete some of the tasks or exercises outside of the lesson.
This system can also be used in mass training environments.  The military requires a lot of additional training that isn’t part of our assigned duties.  With all of our other duties, training time is limited and the PSI would allow each military member to complete their training online at their convenience. I know from experience that someone needs to monitor the training regularly to make sure it is complete by a certain date.
There are many ways the PSI can be adapted to the web.  Audio and video can be used to enhance the presentation of training. The greatest technological tool that can be used in this system is any kind of tool that grades a quiz or test quickly.  Computer grading is the fastest way to let the students know their progress and no proctor is necessary.

11 comments:

  1. Hi, Karen!
    Well isn't it a delight to be working with another clarinet major!
    The Keller Plan certainly does pose some challenges for the private music teacher, and exactly for the reasons you give, especially in terms of higher-order thinking skills. I am aware that music lessons are being taught online, and thanks to one enterprising musician, I can now play the opening lick from "Don't Fear the Reaper" on my guitar. But he never evaluated my performance and I struggle to imagine how he might have done so.
    We both know too well that we have to concern ourselves with technical issues with our clarinet students such as going over the "break" and intonation in the altissimo register. Am not sure how PSI can be of benefit there. We know that higher order thinking skills includes analysis, synthesis, and evaluation. "Analysis" would include comparison and contrast. That could be difficult to do with PSI. "Synthesis" would include composing, modifying, and rewriting. I can imagine telling my clarinet teacher at Troy State that I had rewritten some of the arpeggios in the Spohr Concerto! Then "Evaluation" would encompass such activities as comparison and contrast. That I can imagine, but evaluation of the student's work might be subjective.
    Then you have the affective domain. How well did the student interpret the composition? Uh oh, the Keller Plan isn't looking very good here!
    Then you mentioned setting goals and objectives. I suppose one could be rediculous and tell his/her student "my goal is for you to play like the solo chair clarinetist with the Marine Corps Band!" Well, that's extreme, but that's our eventual goal, isn't it? Perhaps we could tell our student, "Today we're going to learn how to play the opening movement of the Adagio and Tarentella with good tone quality, interpretation and intonation." That would make sense...but how would we grade it? Could any notes be out of tune? Would we fail our student if she hit that altissimo register E like a train whistle?
    Frankly I like PSI for what it's good for, but I just have my reservations about its use in private lessons!
    Have a great weekend,
    Al

    ReplyDelete
  2. Al,
    I was thinking of PSI more in terms of regular private lessons. Each module would be labeled 1-20(levels) and the students could advance through the modules. Each module would come with specific repertoire (the students could pick from the list of suggested solos for that particular level), scales and exercises. Along with the module could be music theory lessons and listening examples. The students do all the work at home during the week and come to the next lesson to be evaluated by the instructor. Some things like musicality are hard to evaluate objectively, but others aren't so difficult.

    Examples:
    The student will perform the b-flat concert scale in 8th notes with the quarter note at 120.

    The student will correctly identify x number of intervals played.

    I'm not sure how I feel about online lessons. I suppose newer technological advances might help make such lessons less awkward.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with your statement: "The first barrier is that it only seems to be suitable for older students who are self-motivated and on-task." I have to remind myself that the research model we read about was for a college level course - If I used the PSI model for my middle school students, a lot would have to change - for one the PSI module would have to be much more short and the students would need much more monitoring. However, I do think a model such as PSI would work for the middle school students.

    I play the piano - started lessons in 3rd grade and up through college - I would of loved the chance to use the PSI model to cover the "book" study stuff my music teachers use to make me study...especially in my advanced years -that way the time I did have with the teachers could be spent on playing and perfecting technique. I think you are on to something with your idea of using PSI for private lessons to practice scales, note reading, music history, etc. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Karen,
    Sorry if I wasn't quite on the same page as you: you have some very interesting ideas which have merit and deserve implementation. Your methodology is well thought out. Kudos on that!
    Private lessons are, in fact, being taught on line nowadays. I haven't had the experience of being on either the giving or receiving end of an online lesson, with the exception of the lesson I took via YouTube video making it possible for me to learn the previously mentioned lick from "Don't Fear the Reaper." But lessons are also being given synchronously. Personally I'm more comfortable being in the same geographic location as my pupil or instructor, but internet technology seems to be changing everything, private lessons included, apparently.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Karen! I completely agree...I think that the PSI model definitely would benefit the adult learner more. There are different ways that could enhance the instruction delivered in this format. Your idea of a mass training certainly would be ideal for the PSI model. However, I certainly cannot relate to integrating this with clarinet lessons! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Al,
    I would mostly use PSI to keep me organized as an instructor. I also believe it will help the students to see their progress. You're right, I can't imagine taking a clarinet lesson online. I sure would have appreciated online lessons when I lived in Germany. They have some very fine players and teachers, but there is a language barrier and they use the different system.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Karen,

    I share many of your thoughts on PSIs, especially the lack of higher-order thinking and self-motivation of the learner. Perhaps PSIs may not be suitable for all subject matter and may do better as a component of an educational program or supplementary material rather than being the complete program.

    As a music enthusiast, I love the idea of online or computer based lessons for the convenience and possibilities. However, if I were to take music lessons at home, I think the main issue is sound quality. When I took violin lessons in high school, I spent a lot of time on listening and learning to play in tune and it helped to have the instructor present constantly coaching us. If the music lesson is through a computer, most people including myself may only be using standard computer speakers, and audio or music played on them are unfortunately mediocre in quality. Do you think something like professional grade speakers should be a required tool for PSI programs in music?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ginny,
    You are exactly right. I think this system is best used for supplemental instruction in some cases.

    You make a good point about sound quality. In order to be in certain bands in the army, we used to have to take auditions every four years to maintain our qualifications. People in remote locations would take the auditions by videotape. Clarinet does not sound all that great on videotape so I would travel to take my audition in person. I think taking the live audition worked better for me.

    As for music and PSI,I would only use it as a supplement to private instruction. Who knows what technological advances will make private music lessons a more realistic possibility in the future. I imagine we could see more private music instruction via the internet in the next ten years, but right now it just seems like it would be a little awkward.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice reflection Karen. I agree the PSI model seems suited to some forms of adult/military training (i.e., the cognitive book stuff, maybe not so much the procedural elements). On the flip side to adult training, I was reminded of a 7th grade science class I took where students worked with a partner and progressed through experiments and written questions in workbooks at their own pace. I don't recall being overly motivated to go at a rapid pace in that class, as you noted would be a problem in your reflection. If memory serves, the instructor did grade our written responses in workbooks on the fly as we finished exercises, so the "rapid feedback" element was there. I guess for younger kids, the motivation factor for individually-paced assignments is a concern.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Karen, thanks for your excellent commenting this week on so many of your peers' blogs. Going above and beyond the "minimium" of two comments was appreciated to keep the conversation going. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete