Saturday, January 29, 2011

Guided Design Process

I started to read about Guided Design with an open mind because I knew nothing about it. This process sounded very intriguing so I was very eager to learn more.  I like that Guided Design helps to foster higher order thinking skills and can best be applied to situational training and real-world problems.
This process might not work for some subject areas, though.  Certain subjects require a “correct” answer and there is little or no use for Guided Design in these subjects.  For example, I don’t see Guided Design being used very often in a traditional math class.  The students in the math class could be given real-world problems like the engineering students in the article, but this approach might prove to be too time-consuming if it is used often.  I cannot think of a way to overcome this barrier, but I would suggest that the instructor try to use Guided Design whenever possible because it is a system that allows the students to be engaged in what they learn. 
While I was reading about Guided Design, I was also approached to teach a class at work.  My class is on Equal Opportunity and I was having a really hard time trying to come up with ways to make this topic interesting.  Reading about Guided Design gave me a few ideas.   I want to move away from the “death­-by-Power Point” classes that seem to plague the Army and I believe that Guided Design will help me create a class that keeps the group involved and engaged.   The goal of this class is to explain the areas that are covered under Equal Opportunity and what to do if you have a complaint.   
First, I will provide the prerequisite knowledge by using a Power Point presentation to go over the five areas that are covered under equal opportunity and the process for filing Equal Opportunity complaints.   I will have a ten minute break so that I can divide the band into groups, explain to the groups what they will be doing, and monitor group progress.  There will be four groups of five and each group will have an index card with an area of equal opportunity.   The group will act out an example of the EO topic on the index card. On the back of the card there will be key issues that must be addressed in the group’s performance.   The whole unit will decide what area is represented and will give possible solutions to the Equal Opportunity problems.     There is no “correct” way to handle problems.  I am just looking for possible solutions to the problems presented.
I have chosen for the group to come up with a scenario rather than to create one for them because I feel this performance will demonstrate that they understand the material better.  I am taking a risk by giving the class this way, but since the students are adults, I should get some creative situations.   
Guided Design can definitely be used with today’s technology.   Since guided design is open-ended and decision-based, interactive media will probably work best for this method.  Role playing games are a perfect example of a product that could be utilized with guided design.  Programs where the data can be manipulated to change the outcome are another example of a media tool for Guided Design.  The only limitation to the use of media in guided design is that media with a high degree of interaction could take longer and be more expensive to produce.
I have included a sequence of events for my Guided Design lesson. Click on the image to make it larger.  I will post an update on how the class went later in the week.

12 comments:

  1. I definitely agree, this model fosters higher order thinking skills and real-world applications. I really enjoyed reading about and looking over your "Guided Design" lesson. I think that the people going through this lesson will take a lot more from it than just a normal PowerPoint. I like how you are having the individuals come up with their own scenario also. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You really need a self-motivated learner in order for them to benefit from this theory. Your lesson is clearly outlined and I think that your target audience will certainly benefit from it. You are ensuring they exercise critical thinking skills while encompassing real world problems. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. UPDATE:

    We don't have projectors for Power Point, I made a handout so that the learners were able to follow. The lesson went really well. Last time I gave a class it looked like people wanted to fall asleep. This time, they were engaged. I am glad that I had the learners come up with a scenario because it shows that they understand the topics. We even voted for the best scenario.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree here with Donia. You really must be a self-motivated learner to truly understand what is going on. This would also be necessary to ensure you are able to successfully follow along. I do agree with your post and would also feel that technology could accompany such learning and support the completion of activities/projects. Good job!

    Heather Haymer

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree. This type of class would only work with older, motiated students or adults.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a great idea for a Guided Design lesson. I would truly love to see a group of soldiers role playing. I will be checking back to see how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kerry,
    It went well. The only thing I would change would be to inform the people in the class that it is an EO class and not to get too "out of the box". I could tell that they really did understand the material

    ReplyDelete
  8. Karen,
    I agree that using the Guided Design process would be difficult in certain Math classes. During the readings, I thought about the same subject content. I also thought that guided design would be perfect for Political Science students. It is also true that the guided design process could be time consuming and in some subjects you need a defined answer. For the subjects that you need an answer, I think that the PSI model would work well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Charlotte,
    I never thought about Guided Design in Political Science. It sure would have made the class I took in college a whole lot more interesting. You're right! PSI would be a lot better for math. I think that would be an awsome way to introduce formulas and let the students practice. PSI will allow the students to start with easier problems and progess to more difficult ones.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm going to take an opposing stance and say that I think that the Guided Design process would be a great fit for math. So often, we focus on rote problems and strategies and don't allow students the opportunity to really have to dig deep, think outside the box, and put problem solving strategies into play.

    My school system has adopted the Math Investigations math curriculum. One thing that I really appreciate about it is the hands-on element of the program. Students work collaboratively to solve problems and then share the differing strategies and approaches that they used.

    This could easily be taken a step further, creating real world scenarios for students to solve. If we aren't teaching them to engage now, when and how will they learn? (Julie Jones)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like your idea for the future guided-design lesson, I think it will work well. I agree with your statement that this is not something that can be used in every subject area. Although I think it could not be used often in something like a math class, there could possibly be one lesson or activity here or there which might allow for it. If nothing else, it's a break from the monotony right?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good application of guided design to your EO instruction, Karen. The model fits your instructional need well. I seem to recall sitting in harassment and group process trainings that modeled a similar framework.

    ReplyDelete