Thursday, January 27, 2011

Audio-Tutorial

When I first heard the words, “audio tutorial”, visions of eight track and cassette tapes came to mind.  I falsely assumed that audio-based methods have no place in today’s learning environment because they seem archaic compared to today’s multimedia training presentations.  I soon found out that there are some interesting methods behind the creation of these tutorials and that there are different ways the tutorials can be utilized to enhance learning.
Unfortunately, there are some barriers to audio tutorials.  One barrier is that, since the tutorial is audio-based, the students who learn best by other methods might feel frustration.  I believe that when used as part of independent study and small assembly sessions, students with all types of learning styles will be more active and engaged in learning. 
     The second barrier to audio tutorials is that some subjects might not be suited for this method of delivery.  For example, art is a subject that is mainly visual and is probably taught best through another method.  That’s not to say that an audio-tutorial cannot be used in any subject.   The opportunities to use an audio tutorial might be limited in certain subjects, but if the instructor is creative, he or she can find a way to use the audio tutorial for almost any area.
I would use an audio tutorial with students who are poor readers.  I believe that the audio tutorial will help to reinforce the standard lecture or text book which can greatly benefit students who have reading difficulties.    For music instruction, I would use the audio tutorial to teach listening skills.   I would have examples of the right and wrong way to play excerpts from musical passages.  I have often found that sometimes students learn by listening and imitating musical styles so an audio tutorial can be an asset in this type of scenario.
Audio tutorials can be used the 21st century.  Podcasting is an excellent use of an audio tutorial.  I have had classes that used podcasts to reinforce the material taught by other methods.  As a busy adult learner, I was able to download the podcast and listen to it while I was in the gym. 
The best way to use audio tutorials in the 21st century is to use them in the Independent study session.  Instead of using the audio-visual materials of the 1960s, web-based materials can be utilized.  Video can be used instead of filmstrip.  Instead of the standard worksheets, interactive activities can be used to test knowledge.  Instead of books on various topics, the students can be given a list of credible sources to research various topics.

3 comments:

  1. I really like your idea about using A-T with students who are not the best readers. I hadn't even thought about that but that would really help give them the option.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Barb! Plus I think all students -- no matter their age -- enjoy having someone read to them. I used to make podcasts and have the kids follow along with a graphic organizer. They would record key points while I was reading to them. They could pause me whenever they wanted to. This was great for ESL students too. It was a great way to differentiate instruction.

    Sometimes I would buy novels on CD and play them while students followed along in the novel. Some kids didn't like that (or so they said) because the reader was weird to them. So I would let some kids leave the room to read independently while everyone else listened to the CDs. Most of the time they all requested to stay and listen. I think kids get tired, sitting in those stiff chairs reading. I know I like a pillows on a soft couch and a cup of espresso or coffee while I read. Listening while reading is more comfortable - or at least takes the edge off the teacher's expectations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Barb, We all have different learning styles so I imagine that the A-T could help a great number of students. Kristy, I like your idea of following along with a graphic organizer. This would keep the kids from "zoning out" during the A-T.

    ReplyDelete