Thursday, April 14, 2011

Cognitive Flexibility

At first, Cognitive Flexibility seemed confusing.  I had to read the notes a couple of times to fully understand this method and after a while, I was able to construct my own meaning. Basically Cognitive Flexibility is best used when knowledge needs to be applied during fast-paced situations.  For example, in some occupations, it would be best to have someone who is able to apply their knowledge and think on their feet.  An emergency room worker should be able to assess the situation, diagnose the problem, and fix it.  You would not want your emergency room worker to stop and try to recall what he or she learned in a class and then not be unable to apply that knowledge to the situation.
Cognitive Flexibility can be combined with other methods of instruction previously discussed in ECI 517.  Case-Based scenarios are the best way to apply the Cognitive Flexibility method.  Situated Learning, Cognitive Apprenticeship, and Anchored Instruction also appear easy to combine with Cognitive Flexibility.
Cognitive Flexibility can be used in a variety of military training environments.   It probably wouldn’t be used every day in the military band program.  I suppose our audition process can be related to Cognitive Flexibility.  We are required to perform and are given music we have never seen before to sight read.  These “performances” are a demonstration of what we know and require us to react to the situation.
I have used this method before in training subordinates in their duties as Unit Prevention Leader.  A Unit Prevention Leader is someone who runs the urinalysis program.   Other than a week-long class, I didn’t get much guidance when it came to actually giving a urinalysis.  Situations that aren’t covered in the class continuously arise.  You can’t stop the urinalysis to look up something in the regulation.  So, when I trained my subordinates, I would give practice tests and have all kinds of crazy scenarios for them.  I think they were better able to handle a “real” test because they had already thought about what they would do in certain situations. 
This method probably has the most possibilities as far as use of multimedia.  I see it best being used in a virtual reality type of environment where the student would be required to interact with a variety of situations and make timely decisions. The only drawback I see is that the multimedia for this method could be time-consuming and costly to produce. 

6 comments:

  1. I never thought about/considered military training! I do agree that this is probably the most confusing model yet. I feel it provides TOO many options and it would be hard for an instructor to just pick ONE avenue. I feel that for web-based supporting materials, anything goes. The hardest part will remain how to implement a lesson and stick solely with the model.

    Heather Haymer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, this model is confusing and I had to re-read and digest the information before actually forming a summary for myself. Used in conjunction with case-based learning/reasoning would definitely be the way to go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I agree that it is best used with other methods.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Karen,
    I agree that cognitive flexibility should be used in face paced learning situations. This is why it was important to use this theory in the medical field. The case based scenario is very obvious in the cognitive flexibility theory. Using the cognitive flexibility model for auditions would be helpful because the band members will be expected to be ready when they need to sight read. This makes me remember my days in band when we needed to audition by sight reading and playing the scales, etc. Auditions are defiantly face paced and perfection is necessary.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I could also see this method employed in more slower paced occupations as well. This constant comparisons and them discovery using a wide range of resource material seems like something historians, lawyers and even scientist do as a part of their jobs. In fact working on the plantations letters it seems as though an attention to detail and slow pace would be an asset when given such a wide range of material. By the way, I loved reading about your example form the military.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete