Thursday, February 17, 2011

Problem-Based Learning

My initial reaction to Problem-Based learning was, “Isn’t this the same as Guided Design?” It took me a little while to understand the difference between the two theories as they are quite similar.  I now understand how to apply each theory to different training situations as needed.
Most of the training I give in the army doesn’t require me to give a paper and pencil test to the trainees.  For this reason, it’s very hard to keep the class engaged and motivated and to evaluate whether or not learning has taken place.  Problem-Based learning is useful in these situations because I can give the class, give the problem, and then have the band members brainstorm (based on information given in class) and come up with a possible solution.  At the end of the class, we can discuss what went right or wrong in the situation and how we can best apply the knowledge gained to the real-world problem.
I see some limitations in the traditional classroom, though.  I can see some students being so focused on getting a high grade and the “right” answer that they get frustrated with a system that could have several correct answers.  Or sometimes, attempts to solve the problems are a complete failure and such students don’t understand that a lot can be learned from failure.  I am not sure the best solution for this problem, but I believe the instructor can help the students to see the importance of Problem-Based learning and clearly state the goals and expectations before the training is presented.
I will definitely use Problem-Based learning in the future.  I can see it best being used in a leadership course.  The class can go over leadership techniques and resources to use to help soldiers.  Then, the class could be presented with a scenario that involves a problem soldier.  For example:
You are in charge of a soldier who is new to the army.  This soldier shows up late every day and has abused their government credit card.  They have also failed a pt (physical training) test.
Each student in the leadership class could act out a scenario and take turns being the soldier’s squad leader.  Then the class can critique the actions of the squad leader.  This helps the future leaders to “practice” dealing with soldier issues. 
I can see Problem-Based learning using skype or some other kind of communication software.  I can see Problem-Based Learning best being used with some kind of interactive media.  I imagine this type of media could be expensive and time-consuming, though.  One of the best army training modules that I have had to endure was an interactive DVD on suicide prevention.  A situation was presented and a decision had to be selected at certain points in the DVD.  The situation progressed based on the decisions of the class.  The class ended up making every “right” decision that was presented in the training, but, in the end, the person in the case study still committed suicide.  This was a powerful learning experience.

1 comment:

  1. You and I both started our reflections exactly the same way- "Didn't we just do this?!" Problem Based Learning seems to make a lot of sense for adult learners and those who you work with in the army. They are going to be solving unique problems each day in the field so practicing those skills would be very practical.

    ReplyDelete